Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Finish it: 1

Hello, writer's block again. I've decided that I'm going to open up one of my anthologies to a random page and quote a piece of text, then work from there. I don't care if I write a few lines, a whole novel, or a scene. I just need to write. Okay, here goes:

*closes eyes, flips through The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Fiction- Fifty North American Stories Since 1970 until she stops on page 317. David Gates' "The Mail Lady."

The quote: Though she hardly needed such help: even as a little girl she was always the prettiest in a group. Or so her father always thought. She was almost plump in grade school. Adelaide could never reconcile her past figure with what she had become. Every time she looked in a mirror she saw the Addie from the past. The girls told her she was beautiful, and so did the boys for that matter, but a small part of Addie always wondered what they thought in secret.
"Come on, Addie!" Jennifer waved her over to their lunch table, then continued gossiping with the group already eating. Adelaide pushed through the swarm of students jostling her on their way to the lunch lines, carefully trying not to drop her apple, celery, and water.
"Hey guys, sorry I'm late. I had to stop by the bathroom." She had to give some sort of excuse for being late, and oftener than not the semi-truth seemed to work. Adelaide slid into the seat next to Jennifer and set her food down, then turned in place and hung her green backpack on the back of the chair. "Man, it seems like it gets crazier in here every semester, doesn't it?" she sighed as she swung back around. Addie held the apple in her hand and examined the dull red sheen. She hated red apples. At least the green ones had a little more taste. Everything she ate these days was bland. Adelaide twisted off the stem and rubbed the apple on her jeans leg. She was stalling. Did they notice, or were they too busy eating their mushroom macaroni and cheese? Just thinking about the dish made her feel like she'd gained weight. Addie stole a glance at Max, the guy across from her. He was trying to open a tightly sealed sports drink for Christy, another girl from the group. Addie could tell he was flexing, as though he could make it open faster if his muscles appeared larger.
"So what took you so long? Were you in the bathroom this whole time?" asked Jen, taking a bite of her leafy salad. "Classes ended like twenty minutes ago," she said with a disbelieving look in her eyes.
"Oh, well, I wasn't feeling well, so after I went to the bathroom I stopped by my locker and grabbed some medicine. My stomach's acting up again," she added in a lower voice. Whether or not it was true, she didn't need an inquisition.
"I thought you were getting that looked at," said Jennifer. "You've had 'stomach problems' for practically the whole semester. I wouldn't let it go that long, that's for sure." She took another bite of her salad and then turned to the Lindsey, the girl on her other side. "What did you get on that math test?" Adelaide heard her ask. Addie sighed again and opened the plastic wrap hugging the celery. It was a full time job keeping her diet a secret from Jennifer.

Okay, people. Leave me a message on the tagboard under "e." Should I continue with this, or pick another passage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have enabled anonymous commenting on my blog, but I would appreciate it if you would leave your name and location along with your message. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!